Saturday, March 12, 2011

Letter to my local club

To: The President of the Green Bay Mike and Key Club.

Hello, my name is Steve, call-sign: KB9MWR. I’ve been active with the hobby since 1996 at age 16. I have been a member of the Mike & Key Club off and on.

I’d like to share some thoughts and observations and make some suggestions in the summary.

Fourteen years ago the mailed newsletters and repeaters where vital communication links for ham to share news and ideas amongst themselves. Now we are connected in a variety of different ways and the hobby is less relevant to many.

The newsletters now are electronic and cost the club nothing to reproduce and distribute. In my opinion they can no longer be viewed as a membership benefit. They should be viewed as a promotional tool, posted and shared publicly to encourage /show club involvement and in the hobby in general.

The emphasis on maintaining multiple club repeaters seems silly. The usage isn’t nearly what it used to be.

Hams keep in touch a variety of different ways now. Keeping things on the air for the sake of it, isn’t spectrally efficient. It’s a detrimental mentality that will surely keep future ham developments from obtaining spectrum.

In my opinion the role of the amateur service as changed quite a bit. It was technologically on top and interested many when I entered the hobby.

Autopatch, packet and the like, all before cellphones and the internet and other social networking avenues.

This no longer seems to be the case. However, I feel it still serves a purpose to those who like to experiment and “learn how things work.” The true technicians and amateurs in my eyes.

Ponder how can the club reach out to those types of people. They seem most likely to help the hobby move forward in my opinion.

The banquet is just around the corner. I’d like to see the ham of the year nomination process refined a bit.

I think nominations should be on merits, and not the buddy system. I think a statement of reasons accompanying the nomination would help bring some value back to the award.

With a new year just around the corner, I’d like to see some defined goals for the year ahead as well as a explanation of the benefits of membership.

Lastly, I’d like to suggest the board conduct a member interest survey and solicit suggestions for future club direction and if warranted make updates to the clubs Purpose and Scope in the By-laws.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and ponder how we as a club can be more beneficial to our fellow amateurs.

Steve, KB9MWR


Einstein said "Insanity is doing things the same way but expecting a different result."

My guess is none of this will happen, but at least I can say I tried.

No comments: